Winter Storms, Frozen Pipes & Ice Dams- Oh My!
This can be a stressful time of year- winter weather can bring a lot more issues than just slippery roads, snow days and a sidewalk to shovel.
If you live where temperatures sink below freezing, you are also at risk for frozen pipes, ice dams and puffbacks- all of which can create major disasters in your home or property.
Suggestions on Preparing Your Home for Winter Weather
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for the faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and tun it to “off”.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing damming in gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
When winter weather strike, SERVPRO of Worcester Strikes back! We’ll make it “Like it never even happened,” and we’re just a phone call away, 508-757-7885.